Tuesday 24 January 2012

Do you judge a book by it's cover?

How many of you are drawn to a book by how it looks? Does this method of choosing a book work or are you more often than not disappointed?

I am very drawn to the look and feel of a book, hence my apathy toward e readers. I get very excited when I go into bookshops and see the rows and rows of beautiful  booky possibilities. Some ladies get excited by clothes shops- (which I do occasionally) but I get much more of a thrill from a well stocked bookshop.

Many book covers are extremely beautiful- works of art in their own right. I love this Penguin Classics series of 20 Food Titles, including Eliza Acton's The Elegant Economist and Elizabeth David's A Taste of the Sun.



I love the Vintage range of books too. Many of their designs are simple but elegant and my intention is to build a collection from these as there are so many to choose from.


Top of my list are Westwood by Stella Gibbons


On the Beach Nevil Shute


Of Human Bondage W Somerset Maugham



If money was no object, then I would have to have a collection of Folio Society books.
These are incredibly beautiful but also a tad expensive for my pocket at present. I would love to own these gorgeous specimens!


At the Back of the North Wind

Birdsong


The Handmaid's Tale which incidentally has the most amazing illustrations- I have added a few for you to see








If you are interested in book cover art then take a trip over to  Book Cover Archive which has an amazing collection of book cover images which can be searched through by categories such as designer, photographer, title and author.

I will leave you with a few more book designs that I particularly like. Let me know your favourite book covers. I would love to see them.





















No comments:

Post a Comment